The Isaac E. Emerson Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences was endowed in 1927 as a chair in biological testing and assay by Captain Isaac Emerson, president of the Emerson Drug Company. The first Chair was filled by Dr. Marvin Thompson, a pharmacologist at the Food and Drug Administration. Dr. Clifford W. Chapman, a pharmacologist from the Canadian National Laboratories, was appointed to the Chair in 1939. Dr. Casimer Ichniowski and Dr. Naim Khazan were the third and fourth appointees to the Chair. In 1988, Dr. Gerald M. Rosen was appointed to the Chair, which led to him being named an Eminent Scholar by the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Currently, this position is held by Dr. David Goodlett, director of the School of Pharmacy's Mass Spectrometry Facility whose research program concentrates on developing mass spectrometric methods that are applied to solve problems in prostate cancer, respiratory biology, Gram-negative bacteria, and leukemia.
The Evelyn Grollman-Glick Professorship in the Pharmaceutical Sciences was established in April 2003 through the bequest of the late Evelyn Grollman. In 1983, Evelyn Grollman established a Lecture Fund in honor of her brother, Ellis Grollman, a 1926 graduate of the School. In March of 2008, Dr. Alexander D. MacKerell, Jr. was appointed as the first Grollman-Glick Professor. Dr. MacKerell has an outstanding track record of exemplary research accomplishments and is an internationally recognized scholar on theoretical approaches to understanding complex biological systems. His leadership and vision led to the establishment of the Computer-Aided Drug Design Center, and his collaborations have led to numerous new experimental therapeutic candidates.
The Parke-Davis Chair in Geriatric Pharmacotherapy was established in 1990 with a $1 million gift from the Warner-Lambert Company on the eve of the 125 th anniversary of Parke-Davis and the School of Pharmacy 's 150 th Anniversary. The endowment underwrites the School's continuing commitment to geriatric pharmacotherapy as exemplified by the accomplishments of the late Peter P. Lamy, the first holder of the Parke-Davis Chair. Bruce C. Stuart, PhD is current holder of this chair.
The Ralph Shangraw/Noxell Endowed Chair in Industrial Pharmacy and Pharmaceutics was established in June 1995 by Colorcon and the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy in honor of the retirement of Ralph Shangraw. The endowment is used to support a Professorship in Pharmaceutical Sciences. Dr. James E. Polli was appointed in November of 2008 as the first holder of Ralph F. Shangraw/Noxell Endowed Chair. Dr. Polli has been on faculty at the School of Pharmacy since 1993, and has made invaluable contributions to the School in his previous positions as vice-chair for academic affairs in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and as director of the department's graduate program.