Please join me in taking a simple step that can benefit you, your loved ones and the School of Pharmacy. Estate planning and planned giving vehicles offer tremendous benefits to donors. I know from personal experience that making this type of gift is a very gratifying way to give back to your alma mater. That is why I have agreed to serve as the spokesperson for the School's planned giving society, The Legacy Council.
Consider the following ways a planned gift can help you achieve your personal financial goals:
- Reduce or eliminate taxes by donating assets that will be taxed heavily if transferred to children or grandchildren
- Convert low-yielding assets into higher returns by making a gift that returns income to one or two people for life
- Reduce the time and expense of probate by creating a charitable trust
- Donate unneeded life insurance, eliminate it from your estate and obtain an immediate income-tax deduction under certain circumstances
- Make a gift of real estate and enjoy an immediate income-tax deduction while retaining the right to use it for life
All graduates should have good information about planning their estates. The University of Maryland Baltimore Foundation, Inc. is the public charity that accepts private donations on behalf of the School of Pharmacy. Click here to learn more about how planned gifts can benefit the donor while supporting our School at the same time, or contact the Office of Planned Giving at (410) 706-2069 and the staff would be delighted to provide information to you as well as to your financial and legal advisors.
Additionally, if you have already included the School of Pharmacy in your estate plans please let us know so that we may include your name in the Legacy Council and personally thank you for your gift. Thank you in advance for considering a gift that will help The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy sustain its special mission.
Clay Warrington, BSP '58
Chair - Legacy Council