The intent of this section is to provide resources that will be useful for practitioners working primarily in Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) and/or Nursing Homes.
The following "Clinical Alerts" have been compiled by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Office of Health Care Quality (OHCQ). These alerts represent issues related to medication management and safety that may impact skilled nursing facilities in the state of Maryland.
- It Takes a Village: Anticipating and Managing Medication Side Effects [PDF]
- IV Promethazine Injuries [PDF]
- Medication reconciliation error between a hospital and long term care facility [PDF]
- Potassium: Still a Very Dangerous Drug [PDF]
- Transdermal Fentanyl Safety [PDF]
- WARFARIN [PDF]
- Proper Medication Disposal
- Nursing Home Compare
- Assessing Anticholinergic Burden
- Geriatric Assessment Tools
Institute for Safe Medication Practices
The Institute for Safe Medication Practices is a non-profit organization that advocates for safe medication practices through education. Some tools and resources of most interest on this website include the "Do Not Crush" List, Guidelines for Timely Administration of Medications, and Improving Medication Safety with Anticoagulant Therapy.