The two-year program based at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Md., blends online instruction with face-to-face experiences to prepare graduates to respond to the increasing demand for medical cannabis with an understanding of the basic science and clinical uses of the cannabis plant.
The MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics is the first graduate program in the United States that is dedicated to the study of medical cannabis. Students will have the opportunity to meet and interact with experts in the science, therapeutics, and policy of medical cannabis at live symposia, while online coursework will allow them flexibility when completing assignments.
This two-minute video provides a brief overview of the MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics at the School of Pharmacy, including details about who the program is designed for, the admissions process, and what students can expect to learn.
The MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics is designed for students who are interested in a career in the medical cannabis industry, whether in a clinical, scientific, or policy role.
The program provides education in following areas:
- Basic science (pharmacology, chemistry, and medical cannabis delivery systems)
- Clinical uses (pathophysiology, assessment, and management of conditions that may be treated by medical cannabis)
- Adverse effects and public health considerations
- Federal and state laws and policies
Students will take five required foundational courses in medical cannabis science, therapeutics, and policy. Students will also be able to choose three elective courses based on their interests. After completing elective courses, all students will take a course in research methods as well as a capstone course comprised of expert seminars, case studies, and discussions.
Coursework is designed to accommodate students with and without a background in science or medicine, and faculty are dedicated to making courses interesting and accessible to all students, regardless of academic background.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of basic and clinical sciences to identify appropriate candidates for medical cannabis therapy and determine appropriate dosing and administration.
- Apply knowledge of basic science and drug development to assure safe and effective design, development, and manufacture of medical cannabis products.
- Identify areas for future research related to science, health effects, and policy of medical cannabis, and describe the challenges associated with such research.
- Identify, analyze, and advocate for emerging issues related to medical cannabis and health.
- Participate in health-policy decision making processes related to medical cannabis
Are you a prospective student who is interested in learning more about the MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics?
Prospective students who have questions about the MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics at the School of Pharmacy should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The growth of the medical cannabis industry in the U.S. is projected to increase significantly over the next 10 years. Gain the knowledge and skills you will need to respond to this demand. Apply for enrollment in the MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics program.Apply Now