The PharmTechX Program is a practice-based certificate training program developed in collaboration with three local health systems — the University of Maryland Medical System, the Johns Hopkins Hospital, and MedStar Health — and taught by pharmacist educators with experience in health-system, community, and specialty pharmacy practice.
This program uses online content along with self-study, practical experiences, and interactive assessments to help pharmacy technicians advance their career at their own pace and at times most convenient for them.
This program will prepare pharmacy technicians for advanced clinical practice and leadership roles within their organizations.
This three-minute video presents an overview of the PharmTechX Program at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, showcasing how the program helps current pharmacy technicians advance their practice and take their careers to the next level.
After completing this training program, pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Complete advanced calculations.
- Conduct medication profile reviews and identify pertinent laboratory tests needed to monitor medication therapy.
- Interview patients to obtain a comprehensive medication and allergy history.
- Demonstrate an understanding of therapeutics related to different disease states.
- Apply the principles of project management to implement and evaluate new clinical services and automation.
- Utilize federal regulatory requirements to evaluate and facilitate improvement of the medication safety process.
- Develop leadership and management skills.
My experience in the PharmTechX Program was very positive. When I had questions, the program’s faculty and staff were very responsive, providing me with multiple resources, constructive feedback, and other tools to help track my progress. You truly experience a real return on your investment.Richard D'Ambrisi, AA, CPhT