Application deadline for fall entry is January 15. Please plan accordingly to ensure receipt of all required documents by the deadline.
Admissions Criteria and Process:
- Online application – Submit completed online application through the UMB Graduate School.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from a comparable foreign institution. Our program favors applicants with a BA, BS, or MS degree in the areas of biology, biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, molecular biology, pharmacy, and pharmaceutical sciences. Other related degrees will also be considered. The minimum academic standard for full admission is a B average, or 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official transcripts – An official transcript from each college or university that you are currently attending or you previously attended must be provided. Electronic official transcripts (U.S. only) may be sent directly from your degree-granting institution to email@example.com, or provided through one of the following transcript clearinghouse services:
If mailing an official transcript, please send to the UMB Graduate School’s address listed below.
- GRE scores should preferably meet the minimum scores of 153 verbal, 153 quantitative, and 4.0 for analytical writing. Please send official scores using code 5848 for the Graduate School and 0613 for the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences. You may upload an unofficial copy of your score report as a supplemental item with your online application for early review purposes, but official versions are still required.
- Essay – The essay should be between 300-500 words, address your academic and/or professional career goals, objectives in pursuing a graduate degree in pharmaceutical sciences, and indicate which research faculty and areas of research interest you. Please make sure your name and application ID is on your essay and upload as a supplemental item to the online application.
- CV/Resume – Upload your CV/resume as a supplemental item to the online application.
- 3 letters of recommendation – Preferably from professors or others who can attest to the quality of your academic performance and scholastic potential. Your recommendations are managed by the online application. You will need to enter the email addresses of your recommenders for this process.
International Applicants - In addition to the above mentioned criteria, international applicants should submit:
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores - Applicants whose native language or language of the home is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. The minimum acceptable TOEFL score for admission is 550 for paper-based tests, 213 for computer-based tests, 80 for the internet-based tests. IELTS test takers must score no less than Band 7 (total). For TOEFL: Please send official scores using code 5848 for the Graduate School and department code 47 for Pharmacy.
- International applicants must provide one (1) official transcript in English and one (1) official native language transcript or mark sheets from each college or university attended. Each set of documents must list subjects studied, grades or marks received, and rank in class or division.
- Additional information for international applicants is available on the Graduate School webpage.
All application documents mailed should be sent to the UMB Graduate School:
University of Maryland, Baltimore
The Graduate School
620 W. Lexington St., 5th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Additional information on application guidelines can be found on the UMB Graduate School website.