Pharmaceutical Research Computing (PRC) provides a wide range of services to meet professionals' health services and epidemiology research computing needs.
PRC is housed within the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research (PHSR) at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy and offers computer programming, data management, and analytic support for health services researchers. The center has expertise working with large commercially and publicly funded administrative claims databases, registries, and electronic medical records.
Services available through PRC include:
- Expertise with Health Care Databases: Staff members have extensive experience working with a wide range of large databases, including, BlueCross BlueShield, Medicare, Medicaid, Marketscan and SEER-Medicare.
- Database Management: PRC maintains the integrity, security, and processing of all data in its secure research environment. The Center is compliant with Data Use Agreements (DUAs), the Institutional Review Board (IRB), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Knowledge of Health Care Environment: PRC understands data within the context of the health care system. The Center has pharmacists and epidemiologists on staff. Their knowledge of reference files, including drug dictionaries, diagnosis codes (ICD-9-CM), and procedure codes (CPT), and understanding of research methodology provide important contributions to study design, operationalization of variables, and data analysis.
- Programming & Analysis: Staff members include information technology specialists, seasoned programmers, and analysts with expertise in data analysis tools, including SAS, STATA, and Excel.
- Sponsors: Project sponsors have included the National Institutes of Health, Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Food & Drug Administration, the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, and other health care organizations.
Copyright © 2015 University of Maryland School of Pharmacy