Preceptors are full-time, part-time, or volunteer faculty or practitioners (usually pharmacists) who serve as practitioner-educators for the Experiential Learning Program (ELP).
Preceptors oversee students in introductory and advanced pharmacy practice experiences, which meet specific curricular outcomes. Exemplary preceptors are role model practitioners and effective teachers, who encourage self-directed learning with constructive feedback to student pharmacists.
We are looking for individuals who enjoy teaching, seek to give back to the profession, desire to share expertise, and may serve as student mentors.
Application Deadline Dates:
- Applications received between Dec. 2 – Mar. 15
Preliminary appointments on or about Mar. 31
- Applications received between Mar. 16 – June 15
Preliminary appointments on or about June 30
- Applications received between June 16 – Sept. 15
Preliminary appointments on or about Sept. 30
- Applications received between Sept. 16 – Dec. 1
Preliminary appointments on or about Dec. 15
**PLEASE READ ENTIRE SECTION AND ENSURE YOU CAN ADHERE TO THE PRECEPTOR REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO APPLYING TO BECOME A PRECEPTOR**
To Apply, You Must:
- Be available to precept students during the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic year. Please Note: To receive students for the upcoming year, you must apply by Dec. 1.
- Have at least one year of experience in the field
- Have a current Curriculum Vitae (CV), including job responsibilities, to upload with your application.
- Complete the online preceptor application (Part 1 and Part 2: "Preceptor Application Questions"). Please Note: You will need a "sign up code" to complete the application. Please enter the code that pertains to you from one of the boxes below.
- Complete the FERPA requirement, which will be completed at the time of submitting an application.
- Complete two hours of required University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Online Modules. (Please Note: An email will come from the ELP office with instructions after applications has been approved. Please refer to the application deadline and approval dates.)
- Complete the mandatory Title IX Training. Please set your login to the email address you would like to receive correspondence to. You must also upload the completion certificate or proof of completion to CORE ELMS (once you receive the login information from the ELP office). Note: Login information will NOT be sent until the quarterly deadline. See above for the application deadline dates. However, you may still complete the training and save the PDF until you receive your login for CORE ELMS.
- Complete new preceptor orientation with an ELP staff member.
The online preceptor application is available to complete here. BE SURE TO USE THE APPLICABLE CODE TO ACCESS YOUR APPLICATION.
- Johns Hopkins prospective preceptors, please enter the code JOHNSHOPKINS
- International prospective preceptors, please enter the code INTERNATIONAL
- All Other prospective preceptors, please enter the code PRECEPTORCODE
Please Note: You must meet the following requirements to receive a full approval, "Clinical Faculty" appointment from the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy.