The School of Pharmacy requires all entering PharmD students to have a laptop and use it for specific educational purposes during their four-year educational program.
Minimum Laptop Specifications (Windows or MacOS)
- Intel Core i5 processor or better. AMD processors are not recommended.
- 8 GB RAM minimum.
- 256 GB or greater solid state hard drive (SSD).
- A wireless network adapter that supports 802.11n or higher.
- A functioning webcam is required.
- Microsoft Windows 10. 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows are supported. Windows RT and Windows 10 in S mode are NOT supported.
- MacOS X 10.14 (Mojave) or newer. OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) and earlier versions are NOT supported.
- Microsoft Office - students may download Microsoft Office 365 from http://portal.office.com. Enter your UMB email and password to access the site. The software is available to you while you are enrolled at the UMB.
- As a part of your education, you will be required to install various applications to participate in certain required and elective courses. For example, you will need to install Examplify for electronic examinations. Instructions for installation will be provided to you during the school year.
We strongly recommend you purchase an inkjet or laser printer for printing materials when not on campus.
We strongly recommend you purchase a USB headset for participation in online web conferences and classes.
Recommended Warranty Coverage
It is highly recommended you obtain a warranty that will cover your laptop during your years of study at the School of Pharmacy. If an accidental damage warranty is available, it is recommended to add that as well.
Before you arrive on campus, make sure that:
- Your laptop is in good working order (i.e., free from damage or faulty components).
- Your laptop is virus and malware free.
- Your laptop is up to date with the latest operating system patches.
What if I want to use a tablet or Chromebook?
The following devices are NOT supported:
- Microsoft Surface tablets running Windows RT or Windows 10 Home in S mode (e.g., Surface Go devices).
- Android tablets
- iPad and iPad Pro
- Devices with the Linux operating system
NOTE: Microsoft Surface devices with the full Windows 10 operating system ARE supported (e.g., current generation devices such as the Surface Book 3, Surface Pro, or Surface Laptop).