There are a variety of ways that your support can make a lasting difference at the School of Pharmacy.
Below is a list of endowed funds that support specific types of research, education, and community service in perpetuity. Gifts to endowed funds will continue to benefit the School, its students, and programs in perpetuity.
Previous charitable gifts to the School of Pharmacy have named four endowed chairs:
The Isaac E. Emerson Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences was endowed in 1927 as a chair in biological testing and assay by Captain Isaac Emerson, president of the Emerson Drug Company. The first Chair was filled by Dr. Marvin Thompson, a pharmacologist at the Food and Drug Administration. Dr. Clifford W. Chapman, a pharmacologist from the Canadian National Laboratories, was appointed to the Chair in 1939. Dr. Casimer Ichniowski and Dr. Naim Khazan were the third and fourth appointees to the Chair. In 1988, Dr. Gerald M. Rosen was appointed to the Chair, which led to him being named an Eminent Scholar by the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Currently, this position is held by Dr. David Goodlett, director of the School of Pharmacy's Mass Spectrometry Facility whose research program concentrates on developing mass spectrometric methods that are applied to solve problems in prostate cancer, respiratory biology, Gram-negative bacteria, and leukemia.
The Evelyn Grollman-Glick Professorship in the Pharmaceutical Sciences was established in April 2003 through the bequest of the late Evelyn Grollman. In 1983, Evelyn Grollman established a Lecture Fund in honor of her brother, Ellis Grollman, a 1926 graduate of the School. In March of 2008, Dr. Alexander D. MacKerell, Jr. was appointed as the first Grollman-Glick Professor. Dr. MacKerell has an outstanding track record of exemplary research accomplishments and is an internationally recognized scholar on theoretical approaches to understanding complex biological systems. His leadership and vision led to the establishment of the Computer-Aided Drug Design Center, and his collaborations have led to numerous new experimental therapeutic candidates.
The Parke-Davis Chair in Geriatric Pharmacotherapy was established in 1990 with a $1 million gift from the Warner-Lambert Company on the eve of the 125 th anniversary of Parke-Davis and the School of Pharmacy 's 150 th Anniversary. The endowment underwrites the School's continuing commitment to geriatric pharmacotherapy as exemplified by the accomplishments of the late Peter P. Lamy, the first holder of the Parke-Davis Chair. Bruce C. Stuart, PhD is current holder of this chair.
The Ralph Shangraw/Noxell Endowed Chair in Industrial Pharmacy and Pharmaceutics was established in June 1995 by Colorcon and the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy in honor of the retirement of Ralph Shangraw. The endowment is used to support a Professorship in Pharmaceutical Sciences. Dr. James E. Polli was appointed in November of 2008 as the first holder of Ralph F. Shangraw/Noxell Endowed Chair. Dr. Polli has been on faculty at the School of Pharmacy since 1993, and has made invaluable contributions to the School in his previous positions as vice-chair for academic affairs in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and as director of the department's graduate program.
Eighty percent of our students qualify for financial aid or scholarship assistance, now more than ever, scholarships continue to be a critical component to attracting and retaining talented students to the profession of pharmacy. Visit this webpage to see a full list of the School's current scholarship funds.
Student Activities Fund
Established from student activity fees by the School of Pharmacy and transferred to the University’s Common Trust Fund in 1954. The income is to be used by the dean for any worthy cause or purpose related to student activities at the School of Pharmacy.
Maryland Poison Center Fund
Established in 1991 by an anonymous donor. The income will be used to provide funds for staff development and advancement for employees of the Maryland Poison Center.
RPS Geriatric Pharmacy Post-Graduate Program Endowment
Established in 2003 by the Retired Person Services, Inc. This fund is to provide support for post-PharmD residents or fellows in the area of geriatric pharmacy practice at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy. This support shall be used for salaries, fringe benefits, and any research and educational expenses incurred by the residents/fellows, as long as it is directly related to the program requirements.
Established in 1987 by the School of Pharmacy and transferred to the UMB Foundation in 2007. Funding is provided by the copyright on PharmAlert, a pharmacy newsletter. Income will be used to support this publication at the School of Pharmacy.
The School of Pharmacy is currently home to three endowed lectureships:
Andrew G. DuMez Memorial Lectureship Fund
Established in 1969 by gifts from Mrs. Mary Fields DuMez, in memory of her late husband, Andrew G. DuMez, who was Dean of the School of Pharmacy from 1926 to 1948. The income is to be used by the School to advance the pharmacy profession by providing the means for students and faculty to benefit from the knowledge of distinguished educators and leaders in pharmacy or the related health professions. The recipient of the lectureship is to be selected annually by a joint committee of members of the faculty and student body.
Francis S. Balassone Memorial Lecture Fund
Established in 1976 by the Maryland Pharmaceutical Association in memory of Francis Balassone, alumnus and faculty member of the School of Pharmacy. Mr. Balassone was executive secretary of the Maryland Board of Pharmacy and was instrumental in establishing the first school-based pharmacy student externship in the nation. The income will be used for an annual distinguished lecture program in the School of Pharmacy.
Paul A. Pumpian Memorial Lectureship Fund
Established in 1996 to provide support for an annual lectureship to be administered by the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy.
Previous gifts to the School of Pharmacy have established the following library awards:
David M. R. Culbreth Fund
Established in 1943 by bequest to the School of Pharmacy from Dr. David M. R. Culbreth, former professor in the schools of Dentistry, Medicine, and Pharmacy. The income is to be used for purchasing new books in the field of pharmacy.
Blanche A. Kach Fund
Established in 1946 by bequest from Blanche A. Kach. The income is used to maintain the August Kach Memorial Library at the School of Pharmacy.
Faculty Library Fund
Established in 1937 from profits received from the sale of books, weights, and instruments to pharmacy students. The income is to be used to purchase books, pamphlets, journals, and other publications for the School of Pharmacy library or museum. It is also used to defray the expenses of publication of research or other bulletins of the School of Pharmacy.
Dr. Frank J. Slama Fund
Established in 1975 by Lillian Slama in memory of her late husband Dr. Frank J. Slama. This fund is to provide funds to maintain a medicinal chemistry and pharmacognosy science room, library or laboratory.