The application deadline is December 15, 2023.
If selected to move on to the next phase of the admissions process, you will be contacted via email to schedule an interview. A virtual interview day will be held on Monday, January 29, 2024. It is required that you attend the interview so please reserve the day in your calendar in case you are selected to be invited to interview day.
Note: The PHSR Admissions Committee will not be considering GRE scores for the incoming class of Fall 2024.
Applicants to the PhD program in Pharmaceutical Health Services Research should possess a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants without a Bachelor of Science in pharmacy or a Doctor of Pharmacy degree will be considered, as students can be successful in the program with no previous pharmacy-related education and/or experience.
The PHSR program is particularly interested in applicants with strong quantitative and writing skills. Biostatistics, epidemiology, and programming are a core part of our coursework and research, and scientific writing is central for effectively disseminating research and ideas. The faculty seeks tangible evidence of quantitative proficiency, which can be demonstrated through outstanding grades in undergraduate or graduate level courses in advanced mathematics or statistics.
Previous master's degree and research experience are beneficial but not required.
All applicants must submit the following materials to be considered for admission:
- One official transcript from each college or university that you are currently attending or you previously attended must be provided. Electronic official transcripts (U.S. only) may be sent directly from your degree-granting institution to email@example.com, or provided through one of the following transcript clearinghouse services:
If mailing an official transcript, please send to the UMB Graduate School’s address below:
University of Maryland, Baltimore
620 West Lexington Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-1508
NOTE: Packages/documents sent to us via a non-USPS carrier such as UPS, FedEx or DHL must be addressed to:
Attention: Graduate School Admissions
601 West Lombard St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
- Two letters of recommendation. Your recommendations are managed by the online application; you will need the email address of your recommenders for this process.
- Curriculum Vitae uploaded as part of the online application.
- Essay describing your academic goals and research interest scanned and uploaded as a supplemental item to the online application. The essay should be between 300-500 words. Students should also indicate in their essay a track or specialization of interest from the list below:
- Comparative Effectiveness and Patient-Centered Outcomes Research: Research that compares different health care and treatment approaches to help patients and providers make more informed decisions.
- Pharmaceutical Policy: Local, state, and national policies governing the development, provision, and use of medications within a health care system.
- Pharmacoeconomics: Trade-offs in health outcomes and costs associated with the use of therapies, devices, and adherence programs.
- Pharmacoepidemiology: Prevalence and use of pharmaceuticals in large populations as well as the health outcomes associated with medication utilization.
- International Students Only: International applicants must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo exam. Applicants must achieve a minimum, total score of 80 on the internet-based test on the TOEFL; or, a minimum, total score of 7 on the IELTS; or, a minimum score of 115 on Duolingo.
- Please have official TOEFL test scores sent through ETS to our school code 5848. IELTS test-takers may send their TRF number to the School of Pharmacy at firstname.lastname@example.org so that the admissions office may verify the applicant’s scores electronically.
- If you took the Duolingo exam, please send us an unofficial copy of your scoresheet and request the official be sent to University of Maryland, Baltimore.
- If you are interested or curious in our exemption guidelines, please read the exemptions from English language proficiency requirement.
- Application for admission can be found online. Application Fee of $75 must be paid with a credit card during the online application process. Apply to the PHSR program today.
For More Information:
All applicants must satisfy the general requirements of the Graduate School before consideration for admission to the program. For more information about the Graduate School Admission criteria, visit the website.